CLAS PRE-DISSERTATION FIELD RESEARCH GRANT
Application Form: Graduate Student Field Research Grant Application Form
CLAS Field Research Grants provide funding to UU graduate students for travel and field-related expenses for brief periods of field research in Latin America. Recipients may be graduate students at the masters or early stages of their doctoral-level studies, including those pursuing professional degrees. The Field Research Grants are not to be used for advanced dissertation research; they are intended to provide graduate students with early experience conducting hands-on field research in Latin America, to acquire deeper knowledge and understanding of language and culture, to establish professional and institutional contacts, assess potential research sites, and to develop and refine independent research projects. Field research trips should range from 2 weeks to 4 months of duration.
Award amounts will range on average from $1500-3000
Application Deadline: Last Friday in February
Eligibility and requirements
- The grant is open to currently enrolled UU master’s, doctoral as well as students pursuing professional degrees.
- Any enrolled graduate students are eligable for the award regardless of their academic discipline or nationality.
- Citizens of Latin American countries enrolled at the UU are eligible to receive awards to conduct research in their home countries provided they have no previous field research experience in that country.
- Funds are not available for internships or conference participation, or for travel and research to Puerto Rico.
- The travel awards are not intended for advanced dissertation research.
- Travel must be completed by December 31, 2020.
CLAS Graduate Student Research Award Application Instructions & Checklist
Please submit an electronic version of your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF file. Please include your last name in the name of the file (for example: LastName_ResearchGrantApplication).
Your application must include (in the following order):
- Completed Application Form
- Research Statement (4-5 pages, double spaced)
- Printout of itinerary showing cost of airfare from a travel service or airline
- Research Itinerary
- Concise CV (2 pp.)
- Unofficial Transcript
- One Letter of Recommendation should be submitted separately by your principal faculty advisor.
- Documentation of IRB approval (if applicable) must be submitted before travel begins.
For questions or more information, contact Kari Moore at email@example.com
Check out some of our previous CLAS awardees in the field!