CLAS PRE-DISSERTATION FIELD RESEARCH GRANT
CLAS Field Research Grants provide funding to UU graduate students for travel and field-related expenses for brief periods of field research in Latin America. Recipients may be graduate students at the master's or early stages of their doctoral level studies, including those pursuing professional degrees. The Field Research Grants are not to be used for advanced dissertation research; they are intended to provide graduate students with early experience conducting hands-on field research in Latin America, to acquire deeper knowledge and understanding of language and culture, to establish professional and institutional contacts, assess potential research sites, and to develop and refine independent research projects. Field research trips should range from 2 weeks to 4 months of duration.
Award amounts will range on average from $1500-3000
Application Deadline: March 16, 2018
Eligibility and requirements
- The grant is open to currently enrolled UU master’s, doctoral and professional school students.
- Any enrolled graduate student without regard to academic discipline or nationality is eligible for the award.
- Citizens of Latin American countries enrolled at the UU are eligible to receive awards to conduct research in their home countries provided they have no previous field research experience in that country.
- Funds are not available for internships, conference participation, or for travel and research to Puerto Rico.
- The travel awards are not intended for advanced dissertation research.
- Travel must be completed by December 31, 2018.