Application Form: IME-BECAS Scholarship for Higher Education 2017-2018
2017-2018 Application Information
The Center for Latin American Studies at the University of Utah is pleased to announce a scholarship competition for graduate and undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Utah during the Spring Semester, 2018. The goal of the scholarship, funded jointly by the Institute for Mexicans Abroad (IME) and private donations, is to provide financial assistance for promising low-income students who speak a Latin American language at home and are interested in pursuing studies in the languages, history, cultures or societies of Latin American countries. Undocumented students, with or without DACA, are encouraged to apply. Deadline: November 17, 2017
Awards will range from $1,000-$3,000 with higher amounts awarded to students who enroll in Latin American language and/or Latin American area studies classes during the Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 semesters.
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be eligible for the IME-BECAS Scholarship for Higher education an individual must:
- Be a motivated student with a good academic record
- Have financial need
- Enroll full time during the semester the award is used
- Maintain good academic standing during the semester award is used
Preference will be given to:
- Students whose family speaks a Latin American language at home (Spanish, Nahuatl, Quechua, etc.)
- Students who enroll in a Latin American language class (at any level, for example Spanish, Portuguese, Nahuatl, Quechua)
- Students who enroll in a class that has significant Latin American content
- Students who are first-generation college students
- Students who demonstrate a commitment to service that benefits the immigrant community
To apply, you must submit the following:
- A completed application form
- An essay (maximum 500 words) describing your academic goals (including the courses you plan to take while holding the scholarship), family background, significant obstacles you’ve faced in your education, and the reasons you believe you are qualified for the scholarship
- A copy of university transcript or degree audit (not sure what a degree audit is? Click here)
Application Deadline: November 17, 2017
Complete applications should be submitted to the Center for Latin American Studies (CTIHB 210) by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For questions or more information, contact Professor Claudio Holzner at email@example.com