Center for Latin American Studies Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships: Summer 2020 and Academic Year 2020-2021
We want to recognize and congratulate all the FLAS recipients awarded during the Summer 2020 and Academic Year 2020-2021 for being selected for these nationally competitive fellowships.
The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) offers U.S. Department of Education Title VI funded Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships. Academic year FLAS Fellowships provide full tuition support plus a stipend to graduate and undergraduate students in any department across campus who include area studies and either Nahuatl, Portuguese, or Quechua language study in their coursework. Summer FLAS fellowships provide up to $8500 to support intensive summer language study. Each year CLAS awards $300,000 in FLAS scholarships, which provide a stipend and tuition support to approximately 20 undergraduate and graduate students across campus, and supports about 10 students for intensive summer language study.
Click here for more information about FLAS Fellowships and how to apply.
Giselle Fagundes-Draper, majoring in Accounting and Latin American Studies and minoring in Portuguese and Brazilian Studies
My name is Giselle Fagundes Draper and I am a Senior at the U. I am a double major studying Accounting and Latin American Studies with a Minor in Portuguese and Brazilian Studies. This is the 3rd year I have received FLAS for Portuguese. As a Brazilian-American, FLAS has helped me improve my Portuguese as a heritage speaker. It has helped me better communicate with my family members and understand more about my own culture. FLAS has changed my life and opened a new part of me that has always been there, but I didn't know how to connect with. Because of FLAS, I feel more like myself and have become more in tune with my culture, something I will cherish forever. I hope to use Portuguese in my future career and I hope to one day work in Brazil. I encourage anyone who is considering applying to just do it. Start the application process early, and get to know the faculty and staff in your department, it will go a long way.
2020-2021 CLAS FLAS Awardees
The following 6 recipients of FLAS Fellowships are students in the Latin American Studies Program.
- Christine Schulz, Kichwa, Latin American Studies MA
- Mark J. Nelson, Nahuatl, Latin American Studies MA
- Rogelio Brambila, Portuguese, Anthropology BS, Biology BS, Latin American Studies BA
- Wilson Wosnjuk, Portuguese, Economics BS, Latin American Studies BA
- Noah Schmitz, Portuguese, Latin American Studies BA, Pre Mechanical Engineering BS
- Giselle Fagundes Draper, Portuguese, Accounting BS, Latin American Studies BA
CLAS also awarded 16 academic year and summer FLAS Fellowships to the following graduate and undergraduate students from departments across campus, as well as from universities from across the country. Congratulations to all!
- Erin Brinkman, Kichwa, Geology MS
- Riley Sayers, Kichwa, Environmental Humanities MA
- Ben Baros, Kichwa, Pre Architectural Studies BS
- Martha Hernandez, Nahuatl, History MA
- Alexandra Machuca, Nahuatl, Art BA, History BA, UC Santa Cruz
- Caitlin Liss, Nahuatl, History PhD, Columbia University
- Erik Merrell, Nahuatl, Economics BS
- Jesús Nazario, Nahuatl, Latin American Studies MA, UT Austin, Ethnic Studies PHD, UC Berkeley
- Josh Anthony, Nahuatl, History PHD, Rutgers
- Rosie Ojeda, Nahuatl, Education, Culture, and Society PHD
- Steven Ramos, Nahuatl, International Studies Bachelor's, Flagler College
- Maren Goodrich, Portuguese, International Studies BA
- Alex Bond, Portuguese, International Affairs & Global Enterprise MS
- Enzo Krensky-Hart, Portuguese, Language Pedagogy MA, Educational Leadership & Policy MED
- Tim Chandler, Portuguese, Linguistics BA
- Michael Halisky, Portuguese, Pre Computer Science BS